Monday 4 February 2008

And The Answer Was?

So I suppose I should put you all out of your misery and answer the burning question from the lead up to this weekend........does fyllets en galyntyne work with beef?

Well.......yes..........and no!

It tasted absolutely fantastic, just like we thought it would, but.......all of the guys were sure it was beef y-stwyd or stwed beef because it tastes nothing like the galyntyne recipe it actually was. Unsurprisingly the beef has too 'definitive' a taste and completely controls the recipe......I don't think that's the reason that you don't find beef used in this context, I personally think it's much more likely to be something to do with the humoral medicine properties of the ingredients that make up the recipe and that possibly beef isn't in 'balance' as much.......but that's just my thinking and more to the point that's for a later time than this.

Robert went crazy with the camera again, so lots for me to sort through before I can post them up to Flickr, but a t least thais way I can spread the load for you and eek it out over a few days!

I only managed to get one video shot over the two days:


It's Robin making a chawetty using up leftover roasted venison. He looks as if he's rushing it in the clip......and he was, he knew I could only shoot 8 minutes of footage and wanted to get the whole process in one shot.......well that's his excuse for the odd sloppy bits that you'll see.

What they looked like wasn't important though, it's what they tasted like that counts...

and the fact that there was nothing left afterwards goes to show that just like the galyntyne, they tasted great.....in fact with this weekends pastry Robin managed to get consistently superb results.
Now it's off to start sorting through Roberts pictures to work out which ones to show you.

6 comments:

Doc said...

Fantastic - I am positively in awe of Robin's pie-making skills! The dough rolls out beautifully. What are the ingredients, rough proportions, and method (if you don't mind my asking)?

I've got some ideas about the whole galantyne/humours thing, but it's going to take some research to see if they're right. I'll let you know what I find (if anything).

Tudor Cook said...

....and that was the pie that all went wrong!! As is always the way, the first one which was the one I didn't video him making was perfect, in comparison this was rubbish!?!

Rough ingredients, flour, water and fat (butter in this case); rub the fat into the flour then make to paste consistency with water....cover and leave for a while before working. Unfortunately I have no idea of the proportions and neither will Robin as it's very much done by eye and based on how much filling there is for the finished pie.....next time I'll try and get some footage of the whole process for you to see.

Unknown said...

Because I'm a little skeptical on the humoural reasoning for the lack of beef, am looking quite forward to reading more :)

and am also curious as to how short the paste was.

Anonymous said...

The galantyne was great, but tasted like a rich beef stew, which is probably why it is not mentioned much. Byt tasty it certainly was, I ate a fair bit of it.

Robin said...

the venison looked like it was just the pulled meat - perhaps with some spices. was it? did you add any bread crumbs or other ? liquide? all help appreciated and thanks so much for posting all this

Tudor Cook said...

pulled meat, minced finely with some dates, salt, pepper and a little raw egg I believe.....he was trying to follow a chawetty recipe so whatever was in that was what should have gone into this pie.